#CALIFORNIA update regarding #SB276
California, the time is now! Senator Pan has introduced the bill we have all been expecting. SB276, a bill to restrict medical exemptions in California, has gone live and Assemblything Lorena G is the first coauthor.
What the bill does:
1. All medical exemptions must be approved by the State Public Health Officer (or approved designee).
2. All medical exemptions must be based on CDC contraindications only. These are VERY narrow – basically anaphylaxis.
3. All medical exemption requests must be submitted on a standardized form created by the California Dept of Public Health (CDPH).
4. All medical exemption requests will be tracked in a database managed by the CDPH. This will include personal and sensitive medical information about your children.
5. Any medical exemption written PRIOR to SB276 will also need to be approved by the CDPH and included in their database, by July 1, 2020. If the grandfathered medical exemption is deemed “fraudulent,” it will be invalidated.
We are going to be under the gun on this one due to legislative deadlines, it has the potential to move fast. We must take action en masse. We must show up en masse. Pan has declared war on our families. He has declared war on doctors. He has declared war on the legislators who, in good faith, passed SB277 knowing that medical exemptions would be broad and include family history and be written with YOUR doctor’s discretion. Not Pan’s discretion. Not the CDC’s discretion.
>>> Do these things today:
1. Call the Senate Rules Committee (916) 651-4120 and politely ask that SB276 is double referred to the Senate Health Committee and the Senate Business, Professions and Economic Development Committee.
2. Call the following Senators (we will be calling several a day so that we can hit them all fairly quickly). Urge them to NOT coauthor SB276 and to vote NO when/if if comes before them for a vote.
Senator Toni Atkins (916) 651-4039 Senator Scott Wilk (916) 651-4021 Senator Pat Bates (916) 651-4036 Senator Bill Monning (916) 651-4017 Senator Richard Roth (916) 651-4031 Senator Maria Durazo (916) 651-4024 Senator Connie Leyva (916) 651-4020 Sen Shannon Grove (916) 651-4016
Sample Script: “Hi, I’m calling to urge Senator __________ to NOT coauthor SB276, a bill to severely restrict medical exemptions. Furthermore, I would ask that the Senator vote NO should SB276 come before him/her for a vote. SB277 was passed because of a broad medical exemption that was left to a doctor’s discretion. There is no crisis demanding such an authoritarian law in California. Thank you for your time.”
3. You have two legislators – a Senator and an Assemblyperson. Call them both. Ask for a meeting with the legislator (not a staffer) in the next few weeks in their district office to discuss SB276. Ask if they have any townhalls or coffee talks on the calendar in the near future. Let us know what you find out!
4. Start talking to people: friends, family, doctors, nurses. Let them know what Pan is up to with this bill. Invite them to join Parents United 4 Kids.